Sunday, September 2, 2007

Dr. Mirakle and the Homicidal Gorilla

I was channel surfing at around two o’clock this morning, when I came across a channel called ‘Chiller,’ which was playing a movie called ‘The Murders in the Rue Morgue.’ The story was so far from Poe’s classic tale that it would have been entirely unrecognizable had the two not shared the same title.

The movie, made in 1932, is about Dr. Mirakle (played by Bela Lugosi), a scientist who talks to his pet gorilla. He drives around Paris in a carriage, plucking women off the streets and putting gorilla blood in them in an attempt to prove that humans evolved from apes. Can Dupin, a brave and pious young medical student, kill the gorilla and disprove the theory of evolution in time to save his girlfriend?

Anti-evolution propaganda is always amusing, and ‘The Murders in the Rue Morgue’ is exceptionally so. I highly recommend it to all my readers.

No comments: