I took a practice LSAT yesterday. Four hours of trying to answer illogical questions with logic. Being a Philosophy professor is looking better every day. The highlight of the test, however, was a question I'd like to share with you:If human beings attempt to understand their lives, then they will be faced with certain unanswerable questions. That will lead them to admit the uncertainty underlying all things. If they make that admission, they will conclude that their lives are necessarily without meaning. Thus, if human beings attempt to understand their lives, they will conclude that their lives are without meaning.
Which of the following uses reasoning most similar to that used in the argument above?
(A) If people believe that their lives are meaningful, they must admit that life itself has a discernible purpose, and thus that life itself can be understood. If people believe that life can be understood, they will never give up trying to understand their lives. As a result, if people believe that their lives are meaningful, they will never give up trying to understand their lives.
(B) If human beings attempt to answer unanswerable questions, they will be faced with a decision between admitting that their understanding is limited or that the world is unknowable. If they decide the former, they must admit that their lives are meaningless; if the latter, that the world is meaningless.
(C) Because human beings attempt to understand their lives, they ask themselves unanswerable questions. Because they ask themselves unanswerable questions, they conclude that the world in unknowable and therefore meaningless. Thus human beings should not attempt to understand their lives.
(D) If human beings attempt to understand that which is incomprehensible, they will have to admit defeat. If they admit defeat, they will soon regard their lives as meaningless. If they regard their lives as meaningless, they will no longer attempt to understand that which is incomprehensible. Therefore it is impossible to attempt to understand that which is incomprehensible.
(E) Whenever people attempt to find meaning in their lives, they ask unanswerable questions. When they ask unanswerable questions, they must provide themselves with false answers. False answers, therefore are incompatible with the attempt to find meaning in life.
You have 30 seconds to pick your answer. Post it as a comment, and I'll let you know if you got it right. The first person to correctly answer the question will get a special "blog" smiley face!
Tune in later tonight to find out how I did on the practice LSAT (but don't get your hopes up).
3 comments:
A. If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. Therefore, if A, then D.
I'm afraid I loose. I've taken more than 30 seconds just trying to figure out what one of those darn things is saying... :-(
It's "A", it's "A"! The conclusion is contained in the premise. Did I get it? Do I get a smiley? Is anyone there?
Post a Comment