I think my coworkers are starting to become suspicious. They haven't said anything...yet, but their sideways glances in my direction are filled with a malicious curiosity. The first time it happened I think they just convinced themselves that they hadn't seen anything, or that there was some other reasonable explanation. Perhaps they thought that it was all in their heads. It wasn't, and gradually it became harder and harder to ignore.
The first few inquires were soft and polite. They'd ask if perhaps I'd hurt myself, or provide me with some other easy explanation to use as an escape. Which I did, every time. Eventually that tactic failed too as they began to realize that I invariably told them what they had told me without really explaining anything. Sure it might have been deceitful, dishonest even, but looking back did I really have a choice?
At last I think that my web of confusion has finally torn. They're watching me closer than ever, and little by little they're starting to realize that their first reaction was correct. Every time one of my gloves breaks or gets dirty as I'm preparing food I become the target of a half dozen curious eyes. Fortunately I've practiced and can now change out my large, non-sterile, food service grade latex gloves for new ones in under two seconds without showing more that a flash of skin. I see their frustration as I return to work with nothing revealed. Still my attempts to hide the truth are only making me more suspicious. Maybe it's time to stop wearing purple pizzazz nail polish to work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment