For as long as I can remember, Roger Ebert has attended CU's Conference on World Affairs every spring to host the Cinema Interruptus event, where he would screen great movies, pausing every few minutes to comment, discuss interesting points, and take questions from the audience. No longer capable of speech, Ebert will not be attending this year's conference (happening next Monday through Friday). He will be succeeded as Interruptus host by a fellow called Jim Emerson, who has chosen A Serious Man as his debut film.
Now I like the Coen brothers as much as the next person, but I fear that, if Mr. Emerson takes A Serious Man as his starting point, it will only be a few years until we are debating cinematographic tropes in Eclipse.
It is only fair to note that Jim Emerson has hosted the Cinema Interruptus twice in the past. I did not attend but have been told that it was not entirely uninformative. Still, Ebert will be missed, and I can only hope that the pain of his absence will be mitigated by Friday's colloquium on Everything Sounds Smarter and Sexier with a British Accent.
No comments:
Post a Comment